After ten days of cross-examination, state prosecutor George Busby ended questioning of soca star Machel Montano yesterday. During questioning before Magistrate Maureen Baboolal-Gaffor in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court, Montano was asked about his ability to handle unruly fans, his choice of exit from the Club Zen on the night and his involvement in a confrontation with the group of fans that led to the charges. Montano is charged with assaulting Brandis Browne, Russell Pollonais, Gerard Bowrin and Janelle Lee Chee outside the Port-of-Spain club on April 27, 2007, and using obscene language. During yesterday’s session, Busby put to Montano that he was part of the altercation outside the club and only decided to leave, after Lee Chee shouted, “record this, take a picture.”
Montano continuously maintained his position that he was not involved in the incident and avoided confrontation with the group of fans throughout the night of the incident. Montano’s attorney Dana Seetahal, then began a short re-examination where she asked Montano about his police statement, which he gave a week after the incident allegedly occurred. Throughout Montano’s cross-examination, Busby attempted to ask Montano to read from the statement in an attempt to show inconsistencies in his evidence, but was unsuccessful because of legal arguments from Seetahal and defence attorney Larry Williams, who opposed this.
Montano said: “I went to the station a day after the incident and waited for two hours but the police said they could take it at that time.” “I had to perform in Barbados for the Cricket World Cup final, so I gave the statement when I returned,” he added. Montano previously admitted while being questioned that he had legal advice before submitting the statement. Entertainers Kernal Roberts, Joel “Zan” Feveck and Rodney “Benjai” Le Blanc are charged alongside Montano, with assault offences against members of the group. The matter is expected to continue on May 3.