Helllo!!! SHEMMY here again and this week we’re spicing it up a bit.
We’re in the middle of holiday season which means we’ll have lots of free time to hang with friends and family, lots of time to throw barbeques and cookouts, family and friends day out or in and of course, tons of parties!
Oh what fun it would be for you to create your own cocktails for your gatherings! Right?
So this week’s SHEMMY’S List features 5 cocktail made from 5 Caribbean rums for your trying and tasting:
1. Mount Gay Eclipse / Mount Gay Rum Punch – Mount Gay, Barbados’ signature rum is considered to one of the oldest rums in the world. First created in 1910, Mount Gay Eclipse is a bright, spicy, refreshing mix of taste and aroma.
19 oz Mount Gay Eclipse Rum
18 oz Water
12 oz Grenadine
13 oz Simple syrup (one part sugar, one part water)
4 oz Lime juice
1 oz Angostura Bitters
1 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
Garnish: Cherry, Glass: Punch
Preparation: Add all the ingredients to a punch bowl and stir to combine. Let stand for 2 hours and serve in punch cups filled with ice. Garnish each cup with a cherry.
2. El Dorado 15 year old / Queen’s Park Swizzle – El Dorado is a blend of premium aged rums. This Guyanese rum has been awarded the “Best Rum Worldwide” title at the International wine and spirit Competition of London for four consecutive years (1998 to 2001). To this day it is the only brand with such an achievement.
3 oz El Dorado 15 year old Rum
.75 oz Lime Juice
.5 oz Simple Syrup
3 Heavy Dashes Angostura Bitters
Preparation: Add ingredients and shell of the lime you just juiced into a tall glass. Fill the glass with crushed ice and swizzle until the glass frosts over. Garnish with a large sprig of mint. Serve with a straw.
By the way, this drink is a hit in Trinidad, how Caribbean!
3. Havana Club 7 year old / Dark & Stormy – Havana 7 year old is a true Cuban rum, one that precisely expresses Cuban rum culture. The rum has a rich golden/Mahogany colour; it’s smooth with hints of vanilla, oak and tropical fruit flavours.
5 Lime Wedges
200ml ginger beer
50ml Havana Club 7 anos
5 Dashes angostura bitters
Preparation: First muddle the lime wedges in the bottom of a High Ball Glass. Fill the glass with cracked ice then add the rum, and ginger beer. Put the 5 dashes of bitters in the top of the drink and finish off with a wedge of lime and a straw.
4. Angostura 1919 8 year old / Parang – Angostura, made by the Angostura Distillery in Trinidad and Tobago, is a molasses-based rum aged for 8 years. The rum has a complex mix of beautiful aromas of cocoa, molasses, caramel and vanilla.
50ml Angostura 1919
3 pieces of fresh lime (wash and dry the lime prior to using) squeezed and dropped into the drink
125ml cartoned pineapple juice (shake well in the box before use, to avoid separation) dash
Preparation: Select a clean, polished highball glass. Squeeze the lime and drop in the fruit so it sits in the base of the glass. Add the Angostura bitters, and add large ice cubes to the glass. Pour in rum, and top with pineapple juice. Stir with a barspoon and serve.
5. Appleton Estate 21/ Kingston Colada – Jamaica! Jamaica! The home of Appleton Estate 21. This rum is a unique blend of several rums carefully selected and mixed by Appleton’s Estate master blender; each rum having aged for a minimum of 21 years. It’s pleasing, it’s neat, and it’s smooth!
1.5 oz Appleton Estate 21
1.5 oz Coconut water
1.5 oz Pineapple juice
3 dashes Angostura Bitters
Squeeze of lime
Garnish: Lime wheel, Glass: Rocks
Preparation: Add all the ingredients to a rocks glass filled with ice. Stir, and garnish with a lime wheel.
Do let us know how your mixing goes. Have a refreshing one!