This week The List will feature 5 Actors/ Actress with Caribbean linkages in no particular order! I’m sure some of these individuals will surprise some of you.
1. Cuba Gooding, Jr. 44 is linked to the beautiful island of Barbados through his paternal grandfather, who was a native of the island. The Oscar award-winning Gooding, Jr has starred in a number of films including Boyz N The Hood, Jerry Maguire, As Good As It Gets, The Fighting Temptations, Rat Race, A Few Good Men, American Gangster and many others. In 2002, he was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In 1994, Gooding Jr. married his high school sweetheart Sara Kapfer, with whom he has three children: Spencer, Mason and Piper.
2. Anna Maria Horsford, 64, is a true Caribbean lady. Her parents were from Antigua and the Dominican Republic. She is known for her roles on The Wayans Brothers, Friday and Friday After Next and recently in BET’s new sitcom, Reed Between the Lines. The Sigma Gamma Rho sorority member’s acting resume dates back to 1979.
3. Stacey Dash, 46, is also linked to the island of Barbados. Her father is Barbadian! Stacey is famous for her roles in The Cobsy Show, Sr. Elsewhere, Clueless, Mo’ Money, Renaissance Man plus many others. She was most recently in the first season of VH1′s hit television show, Single Ladies. The Bronx-born actress has also appeared in numerous music videos and is even the cousin to former Roc-A-Fella honcho, Damon Dash.
4. Emmy award-winning actor and comedian Kelsey Grammer, 57, was born in Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Grammer moved over to the United States at a very tender age where he honed his acting skills. He is most widely known for his two-decade portrayal of psychiatrist Dr. Frasier Crane on the hit NBC sitcoms Cheers, Wings and Frasier. His production company, Grammnet Productions, produces the CW sitcoms Girlfriends and The Game which is now on BET, the NBC drama Medium. He has also appeared in movies including X-Men: The Last Stand.
5. Joesph Marcell, 64, best known for his role as everyone’s favorite Butler, Jeffery, on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air was born in St. Lucia. He migrated from St. Lucia at the age of nine to take up residence in England. He studied at the University of Sheffield in South Yorkshire and graduated from the Central School of Speech and Drama. He has now been in the acting profession for more than 37 years. Marcell has been married three times and has two children.